Thursday, September 15, 2011

What does 'family or child-friendly' mean?

This is a question as a Mum of two and as a Letting Expert I am constantly looking at.  At Tots to Travel we are continuously gathering feedback from our customers, parents and assessing the market for the latest trends and ideas in this area.

Recently, I have been looking for a place for a late season holiday, a rental house or a hotel and am surprised by some people's idea of 'family-friendly'.  Firstly, if you are family friendly, there must be fencing on the pool or some way to allow the children to be outside but not have access to the pool.  As a parent, I want to be relaxed, not always worried about the pool.  To that extent, if the pool is not enclosed somehow, I wont even consider it, next.  Secondly, provide a decent cot and highchair as the absolute minimal basics, doesnt have to be expensive, but not an ancient family heirloom which looks like it will collapse if I put my child in it.  Do not charge me for it, in that case I think you really dont want me there.  If there are stairs in the property, especially near bedrooms or basement, please provide some form of protection.  Think of me as I try to feed my one year old child with grown up cutlery that she will bite and hurt her mouth, as I try to make a tiny meal in a huge bowl and end up feeding her out of a tea cup!  Imagine me packing for my two children and how much kit we will have to bring, something as simple as providing swimming/beach towels saves me a lot of space and weight.

What got me thinking about this was in my search for accommodation, I specifically searched 'family friendly rentals in .........  And there was nothing I would choose as family-friendly.  The worst I think was the house, lovely and new as it was, up a very steep hill in the countryside, with an unenclosed pool, right outside a door.  The property was walled from the photos I could see but the wall was low, low enough for my two year old to lean over and potentially fall down a very steep hill.  Im always wary with properties in the countryside, if they are not very well fenced for a child to get out and get lost.  This isnt lazy parenting, it's being safe.  It only takes a second for a child to wander out of a property or fall in a pool, next to a door.  Parents deserve a holiday too, and shouldnt go on holiday to worry about the new environment they are in.  

Just because you provide a cot and highchair, does not mean you are family-friendly.  Think about the customer, put yourself in their shoes, how can you make their life easier and give me a great family holiday that they will rave about and recommend to others.  After all, isnt that what you want?  And let's be honest, if you are not willing to add some family touches, dont advertise yourself as 'family or child-friendly'.  There are many more customers out there that you will appeal to.

If you think you are 'child-friendly' or want to find out how to appeal to this evergrowing market, Wendy Shand has written a FREE book full of great advice and tips developed from feedback from customers, her own experiences as a letting expert and as a parent. To get your FREE copy, go to www.freeholidayletsbook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment